LAWS AND REGULATIONS ENFORCED CONCURRENTLY WITH OTHER AGENCIES
Vehicle Registration and LicensingLouisiana issues six classes of license plates for trucks, tandem trucks, truck-tractors, semi-trailer and trailers.
1. Class 1: Those carrying or transporting freight, merchandise or other property exclusively for their owners or used to transport actual employees of the owner of such vehicle, except those included in Class 5 in Paragraph 5 below, shall be Class 1.
2. Class 2: Those carrying or transporting passengers, freight, merchandise, or other property as common or contract carriers, including trackless street or trolley cars and excepting only those vehicles owned or operated by any person engaged in the business of operating upon rails or upon stationary tracks and operated thereon, except those included in Class 5 in Paragraph 5 below, shall be in Class 2.
3. Class 3: Those carrying and transporting products of the forest in their natural state, including, but not limited to logs, debarked logs, untreated ties, stave bolts, plywood bolts, pulpwood billets, wood chips, stumps, sawdust, moss, bark and wood shavings, and property used in production thereof, including bulldozers which do not exceed eight (8) feet in width, and used to transport actual employees of the owner of such vehicle to and from the place of employment, and those carrying and transporting sugar cane which are not in Class 6, shall be Class 3.
4. Class 4: Those used exclusively in carrying and transporting gravel shall be Class 4.
1. Class 5: Those operated exclusively within the corporate limits of the incorporated city, town or village in which said vehicle was domiciled at the time of its registration, and where said city, town or village has a population of less than five hundred thousand (500,000) within territory contiguous to the domicile thereof, and not exceeding thirteen (13) miles distance from the corporate limits thereof, those operated exclusively within the limits of an unincorporated urban area having a population in excess of one hundred thirty-five thousand (135,000), as determined by the United States Bureau of the Census, in which said vehicle was domiciled at the time of registration, or within territory contiguous thereto not exceeding thirteen (13) miles distance from the limits of such unincorporated area, said limits to be those used by the United States Bureau of Census in reporting the population thereof; those operated exclusively in transportation between a municipality and its airport, when supplemental to transportation by aircraft, shall be Class 5. At the time vehicles in this class are registered, the domicile of the vehicle so registered shall be shown on the registration certificate.
A motor vehicle bearing a Class 5, city use license shall be entitled to operate within the confines of any city, town, village and territory contiguous thereto as followed herein for Class 5 licenses, and in any unincorporated urban area which has limits determined by the United State Bureau of the Census, without transferring its domicile or obtaining a different class of license; provided that city use truck is not authorized to carry any cargo or goods from one city or such unincorporated urban area to another. A motor vehicle bearing a Class 5 city use license is authorized to travel on the highways of this state outside of a city, town, village or such unincorporated urban area provided that it carries absolutely no cargo or goods.
Class 6: (a) those owned by persons engaged in the business of actual farming and by them used primarily but not exclusively in carrying farm produce raised on their farms from such farms to market, or returning wherefrom carrying goods and merchandise back to their farms, this individually or cooperatively, but not for hire, shall be Class 6. (b) Farm produce shall include, but not be limited to, fruits, vegetables, livestock, fish and shellfish. (c) Those owned by persons engaged exclusively in the business of hauling milk and milk products for dairy cooperatives or any other milk plant also shall be Class 6